Sunday, November 14, 2004

Always happens in 3's

So I originally planned on starting this blog on the 2nd, but found myself deep in the bowels of depression since then and ultimately unable to come up with anything to write beyond the title of "Fook yoo ye fookin' fook" (directed at John "Eddie Munster" Kerry. The other guy's been the target of my bile plenty enough, but the punk bitch sissy quitter has been the one getting my feathers ruffled of late). But today is different. Today I am feeling more committed to living up to the job description I use on my tax returns ("Musician"). Today I feel hope, and appreciate my fortune of not currently living in the Fourth Reich, I mean, the US. And today, I must tip my hat and observe a moment of silence for a great warrior in this fight for freedom who has been taken from us far too early. No, not John Peel. He was on the old side, and plenty has been said in his honor already. And no, not Yasser Arafat either, although I have always admired him, and strongly feel that the Palestinians have every right to their own sovereign state. But nothing I could write about him would beat the work of journalists at the New York Times or the Beeb. No no, I am paying tribute here to the third man to fall in this ever predictable pattern of three great losses at a time.
That's right, it's time to pour our 40's on the ground for a man who went by many names.
Dirt McGirt.
Osiris.
Big Baby Jesus.
Mr. Jones (usually followed by "...you're under arrest").
And most famously, Ol' Dirty Bastard.
For those of you who don't know, ODB died suddenly at a NY recording studio last night, while finishing up work on his Roc-A-Fella comeback album. There's no official cause of death, but you gotta figure some hard living and the rock took it's toll on the 35 year old rapper. Much like the sad death of Layne Staley, this is likely the last nail in the Wu-Tang coffin. Sure, they could go on, but it's just not the same without Dirty. Gone now is one of the most genuinely wacky, truly independant, and creatively talented MCs of our time. How many rappers would you have to combine to get one ODB? You'd need the flow of Busta, the lyrics of Doom, the rap sheet of DMX, the zaniness of Flav, and the combined insanity of the entire Dirty South just to come close. He was one in a million, and he will be sorely missed. If you'll excuse me, I have to go find a copy of "The Return to the 36 Chambers" to throw on the 12's.
"The O.D.B. couldn't have possibly committed all those crimes.
Coolio did some of that shit." -Chris Rock

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home