Monday, December 20, 2004

Work still sucks

Throwing off the cloak of corporate emplyoment, today I found that...work still sucks. While it irritated me to no end to know that every decision being made around me at HMV or Guitar Center or Illuminations or the Nuclear Regulatory Commission was being handed down by very wealthy people in very nice offices far far away from where I was working, there was a certain efficiency and organization inherent to these companies that made it much easier to be an employee (that and guaranteed hour-long lunch breaks). Not so at Biggars, where today I was repeatedly humiliated for not knowing how to do my job, which was not so much a result of my own incompetence, but rather that my employers just sort of plopped me down in the thick of it, with one other guy out "sick" and only the warehouse manager to assist me. And man, let me tell you, people who don't play rock/jazz instruments can be a crabby, self-absorbed bunch. I even had one lady on the phone ask if she could speak to someone who "knows what they're doing". I almost told her to fuck off and that I had been selling instruments for much longer than the fools I worked with, and was similarly tempted to hang up on her, but I just took it. I've never felt so down after work in my life. I even sold well, when the occasional guitar customer came in. But man, horn players and violinists and such can be a crabby bunch. So suffice to say I'm continuing to seek other employment while toughing it out for the meantime at Biggars. Maybe tomorrow, when they'll hopefully be fully staffed, will be better. Maybe not. If I didn't know that this job will still be there in January, I might've gone crawling back to HMV. I'm hoping if I stick it out for a little while, I can use the fact that I am currently employed at a guitar shop to get a job at the one right near my flat, which only sells guitars and basses (and way more of the real shit I might add. Who ever heard of "Westfield" guitars?). Oy vey. I want a new job already. This is a bad sign.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Wayancito! Bet you'll be outselling those fools in no time, and then they'll be sorry you left them for a *real* guitar shop.

Much love from across the ocean...

1:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home