Friday, December 24, 2004

Happy Christmas

Okay, me? I'm not a religously traditional celebrator of Christmas. In my former life, we celebrated St. Nicholas Day (a Dutch tradition carried over by my Indonesian side), but not with so much fanfare, and with a complete detachment from any religious significance (due to my Muslim/Jewish background. Strangely, Hannukah never came up...wait, no, I did go over to my friend The Octopus' house for Hannukah dinner a couple of times. Mmmm, latkes...). So here I am in Catholic/Protestant land (the Catholics cheer for Glasgow Celtic, the Protestants for Glasgow Rangers. I like the Rangers cuz they have a long-haired fella on the team, but to avoid any controversy, I claim allegiance to Partick Thistle, the local bush-league team. Y'all just don't know what it's like to be a Football (that's soccer for you fans of the sport with the people running in to each other then taking 10 minute breaks) fan here. Dangerous stuff. One day I'll post about the small riot that erupted at the pub 3 floors below my balcony) during Christmas. Very different indeed. See, I also grew up in a town with many many Jewish folk who made up (and still make up) the bulk of my friends. Later I lived in Portland, the city that doesn't believe in God, and lived generally with a godless bunch, so nothing there either. And now, frickin' everybody here celebrates Christmas. I don't even think you can get Chinese food right now. The upside to this is 2 days off, for Christmas and the subsequent boxing day (which near as I can figure means eat everything in sight aside from the box). Work has improved significantly, and I now enjoy my coworkers more than the bunch at Hideous Villanous Mu-sick. So, on that note, I bid you, my 3 or 4 readers (who by and large will be getting individual notices of Christmas cheer) a very Happy Christmas.
Time for some tacos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home