Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Gorgeous George

Look at that, it's once again been a while. Things are very busy in the land of Glas, but before I get in to that, I'm going to take a moment to heap praise upon my new favorite politician, 'Gorgeous' George Galloway. To my dismay, I found that neither of my good friends more-regularly-updated-and-politically-focused blogs had anything to say about this (lodge your complaint at www.fancyrobot.com or www.sunmoonstarsrain.com and on that note a warm welcome back to the blogosphere for SMSR). For those of you who also missed it, the Yankee senate tried to go after Respect Party MP George Galloway for his 'involvement' with the oil-for-food scandal. As my mates here have said, apparently our senators don't do their homework on foreign politicians (not that this is a surprise, what with non-existent WMDs and all). They chose to drag a serious political firebrand across the pond to accuse him of lighter versions of the same shit the US government has been doing for years. Instead, they got themselves a proper tongue lashing from the anti-Iraq War minister. Now seriously, I don't know what y'all's was thinking, but seriously, this was like the senate trying to call in Jon Stewart for a hearing on his journalistic integrity. News from here was more abundant and supportive of Galloway than anything I saw from the US, and no wonder, as Gorgeous George took the opportunity to point out to the senate that not only is he innocent of the charges being thrown at him, but the US's own leaders are guilty of far worse in the same genre. I'd like to think that this would trigger an increase in public discourse regarding the bad behavior of Cheney & Co., but it looks like the American Media is more than happy to sweep this one under the rug. All the more reason to illuminate the accomplishments of Mr. Galloway. Three Cheers and Huzzahs all around for our man George.
Now for the personal update, I haven't forgotten how to use a keyboard or anything (or for that matter, how to use 'email', although I'm sure some of you are convinced that I've lost my password or something), I've just been amazingly busy in a seriously good way. dBass is movin' along, doing some occasional recording sessions to flesh out the in-the-works demo/EP, and should be doing at least one if not many sessions at the Co.op. No gigs on the horizon there, but once the demo is done that should get better. I mentioned in my last post about this beatbox project. Now it looks like much of that project (excluding the dual-beatbox dependant jawns) is morphing in to a live trip-hop project, for which I will be drumming, along with a fretless bassist, synth guitarist, supa-DJ, Quest MCing, Amy singing, and a string section for recording. Should be a trip, and a unique experience for me to be playing composed music with electronics and things (not much room for my preferred improv). There is also in the works an old-school Studio 1 style-y ska group, led by my good friend Colin. And last but definitely not least is the most 'my' band thing I'm doing, a trio with at least one keyboardist but possibly two. It was meant to be drums-keys-bass, but the bass player has been out of contact for a good bit, so time to move on. Nice to be writing music again and actually have people to play it (one of the first things we've been working on is a tune I wrote about 6 months ago at the keyboard of all things. And it's in 5. Heavy).
Okay, now I'm done with my gloatfest. For the record, I am writing this while 'covering' the keyboard department at the music shop at which I work. If they'd had internet at Guitar Conglomerate, I never would've sold anything.
More to come, including the wayan.co.uk site, the wallsstreetcoop.co.uk site, and possibly metropolitanmovement.co.uk. Keep watching...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home